Sunday, March 9, 2008

Short Story: Wolf Mate and She Wolf


Wolf Mate and She Wolf© 2008

It’s been a long hunt for my Wolf Mate
and I, a very long day of sniffing out pray.
The deer have learned well to stand quite
so we pass them by, I am thankful rabbit has
not learned their trick or the young pups wouldn’t have food tonight. We had to travel
much further today for food then yesterday.

My Wolf Mate and I have been running
long and hard to get back to the den.
The pups have water from the snow,
but hunger may make them wonder
away from the cave and they are too
young to go off to far yet.

We see the den high up in the twilight
as we come over the knoll. My Wolf Mate and I are
relieved, yet we speed up though we are tired.
Closing in on the den we hear the welcome whining
of the pups, see their black noses peeking out.
As we come to the opening the pups run to us
jumping and licking us and butting our heads,
happy to have us home. Dropping the rabbits,
my mate and I compliment them on their good
behavior of not leaving the den with out us near.

My Wolf Mate and I give the head nod to the pups to
eat, as we tear one open at the belly for them. The
other, Mate and I eat with great vigor. When we
are done, my Wolf Mate and I lick the pups clean, soon
now they will do this with each other, as Wolf Mate and I
do for each other. Wolf Mate and I tell the pups it’s time
to curl up in back of the den with us in the back of
the den, next to the wall. We are tired after the hunt
for we had to travel far to find food. In we yelp to
the pups if you want to hear of the hunt. Inside we
curl around them and Wolf Mate starts his tale of our
day away from them, as I, She Wolf wonder how far
we will have to journey tomorrow for food. It might
be time to move the pups to a new den closer to where
we are having to travel for food. I will speak of this to
Wolf Mate tomorrow, now it is time to sleep…..

No comments: